Monday, August 31, 2009

Sombraro Pie


I have always loved this homey dish my mom made when we were growing up.  The seasoning was always just perfect and the crust was perfectly crispy, yet crumbly.  My mouth is watering and I just ate it.  For dinner tonight I actually doubled the recipe so that I would have leftovers which I will either freeze or we'll eat later in the week.  Another bonus, it is easy to make vegetarian and the flavor shouldn't change too much.  You could eat this with taco toppings if you desire, personally I just like it plain.

Sombraro Pie
(printer friendly recipe)
1/2 lb hamburger*
1 (14 oz) can black beans, drained*
1 lg onion, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 C beef or veggie broth
1 can whole kernal corn (or 1 1/4 C frozen corn)
1-2 T chili powder (I do 1 1/2 T)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 C GF Flour blend**
1/2 tsp xanthan gum**
1/2 C cornmeal
1 tsp salt
1/2 C oil
3 T cold water

1. In a large skillet brown meat and onion, adding beans when almost cooked.  Add tomatoes, broth, corn, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Simmer for 10 minutes and pour into a 2 qt baking dish (pie plate, 11x7, 9x9).


2. While the sauce is simmering make the crust by mixing the flour, xanthan gum, cornmeal, and salt in a small mixing bowl.  Add oil and mix with a pastry blender until mixed.  Add water if too thick, it should be the consistency of soft, sticky, playdough.  Cut 2 pieces of wax paper slightly longer than the pan you will be using (just worry about the length of the paper, the width of the paper is enough for all the pans).  Place the dough between the paper and roll out to the size of the pan.


Place pastry over sauce and cut a hole in the middle (I cut a few holes since I doubled the recipe and did it in a 9x13).


3. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30-35 minutes (35-45 minutes for a 9x13) or until the top is lightly browned.  Allow to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.


*Or 1 lb hamburger or 2 cans black beans
**For non-GF just use all-purpose and leave out the xanthan gum

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails