Monday, August 3, 2009

Soft Sugar Cookies

I must admit that, as a general rule, Sugar Cookies are not my favorite cookie. I'm more a chocolate chip gal. That said, I love "Lofthouse" sugar cookies you buy in the store. Obviously, those aren't GF so my daughter doesn't get them, and to make matters worse, her favorite cookie is sugar cookies. Then my sister adapted a recipe in a church cookbook that we have fallen in love with. I have to admit I had to eat one of the GF cookies since I don't have any regular. So yummy! This time I was using the cookie dough leftover from making Fruit Pizza so I only made 7 cookies and was too lazy to make frosting. As I rummaged around my kitchen looking for something to top them once I realized my regular sprinkles were gone, and found the sugar cane my parents brought back from Hawii and it was perfect. They turned out so pretty and delicious!

Soft Sugar Cookies (printer friendly version)

2 sticks butter
1 C sugar
1-1/2-2 eggs*
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C sour cream
3 C flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder**
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
3/4 tsp xanthan gum**

1. In a mixing bowl cream butter, sugar and eggs. Add vanilla and sour cream, mix well.
2. Combine dry ingredients and add to butter mixture, beat well.
3. Refrigerate overnight
4. Roll out and cut into shapes. Sprinkle with sprinkles, if desired.
5. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes. Frost, if desired.

*To make 1/2 an egg, crack into a small bowl and scramble. Pour 1/2 into recipe.
**NON-GF: reduce baking powder to 1 tsp and omit xanthan gum.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails