Thursday, August 27, 2009

Personal Pizzas with Roasted Tomato Pizza Sauce


Today I was at a loss as to what to serve for dinner.  I asked my kids and they said "Pizza!" and since I already made bread I figured I was in the bread mode, and pizza sounded good.  Basically I made 6" pizza crusts and everyone got to make their own pizza on their type of crust (GF & non-GF).  I also made the sauce from scratch using my cherry & fresh tomatoes from the garden.  Love the garden.  My daughter had a pepperoni, pineapple, green pepper pizza.  I had a pesto, fresh tomato, pepperoni pizza, my son a pepperoni, my husband & my other daughter had the works.  It was a lot of work, but everyone was happy and it made for a lot of fun.

One note, I doubled the recipe to get 4 crusts so I could freeze 3 of them for later. That way the rest of the family can order pizza and my daughter won't be left out.  When I want one I will remove it from the freezer, allow it to thaw and then continue with step 5.  One bonus for her, she gets to have all her favorite toppings (assuming we have them on hand) all the time.


Personal Pizzas (printer friendly recipe) 
(crust recipe from Carol Fenster)
1 Tbsp yeast,
2/3 C rice flour
1/3 C tapioca flour
2 Tbsp dry milk powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp guar gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp unflavored gelatin powder
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
2/4 C warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cider vinegar
Pizza Sauce (recipe below)
Cheese
Pizza Toppings (your choice)

1. Heat the oven to 500-degrees.  Place a cookie sheet into the oven while it is heating.
2. In a medium mixing bowl place mix all the dry ingredients together.  Add the the water, sugar, oil and vinegar.  Beat on high for 1 minute.  If the beaters jump around the bowl the dough is too stiff and you will need to add some water 1 Tbsp at a time until the dough softens up.  You can also do this in a food processor.


 3. Remove pans from oven and invert them, you will be baking the crusts on the bottom.  Liberally spread rice flour on parchment paper (I didn't have any so I just did it on the back of the pan.  This however is dangerous and I wished I'd had parchment paper, and plan to use it next time).  Divide the dough into 2 portions (Note: I doubled the recipe, that is why there are 4 crusts in above photo).  Spread each portion of the dough out on the flour into a 6" circle, making sure the dough is even thickness around and creating a thicker portion on the edge.

4. Bake crusts for 10 minutes in the oven.  They will be lightly browned.

5. Top with sauce and toppings.  Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is nicely browned.


Roasted Tomato Pizza Sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 C cherry tomatoes*
2 large tomatoes*, skinned** & coarsely chopped
salt & pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced


1. Pour 1 Tbsp oil on a cookie sheet.  Toss the cherry tomatoes in oil, salt & pepper.  Place in a 425-degree oven for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes are browned and split.

2. Dump cherry tomatoes and regular tomatoes in a food processor or blender and process until only small pieces remain.
3. Heat remaining Tbsp of oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add garlic and cook for about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.  Add tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.

*You can just use a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes if you want, but it won't be quite as tasty.
**Drop the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for about 1 minute to easily remove the skins.

1 comment:

I Am Gluten Free said...

Love the idea of personal pizzas. Everyone gets their own! And great idea to freeze them. Thanks for the blog. It is always great to find other gluten free bloggers.

Ellen
www.Iamglutenfree.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails