One of my favorite things to eat in the summer is Fruit Pizza. The more fruit I can find, the better. This weekend we had a family get together and it was the perfect opportunity to make the pizza since the recipe makes a lot. It takes a little work, but it is well worth it!
Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe Dough
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese (or substitute - I like Tofutti)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Fruit (see step 4)
Orange or Pineapple Sauce (recipes below
1.For the crust, press the cookie dough onto a large, well greased cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
2. If making orange sauce (recipe below) cook and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. Make topping by combining cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Spread on cooled crust.
4. Mix together any variety of fruit which you like, the more variety the better. I usually go to the produce section and get one of everything. Red apple, green apple, banana, mango, plum, pear, strawberries, peaches, raspberries and use canned pineapple (save juice if making pineapple sauce) and canned mandarin oranges.
5. Top with topping of choice and chill until the topping is set.
1 C sugar
3 T cornstarch
1 C orange Juice
3/4 C water
1/4 C lemon juice
1. In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add orange juice, water and lemon juice. Stir well and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute. Chill in refrigerator.
(This is the sauce used in Kathryn's Fruit Salad)
Pineapple juice from a 20 oz can of pineapple
2 heaping Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 C water
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
1. Combine water, cornstarch, and pineapple juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick. Add sugar and lemon juice. Pour mixture over pizza while still hot. Yes while hot, it won't hurt the fruit or pizza at all.