Friday, July 31, 2009

Raspberry Buckle

We got a new oven this week. Our last one broke so bad it was cheaper to just get a new one. The best part, we just got a new fridge the beginning of June. Anyway, between being out of commission for the last few weeks and the broken oven I have been having the shakes about baking. So when we picked our raspberries yesterday I decided to find a recipe I could make in my gas oven. When I found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook I thought it was perfect and seemed easy enough to adapt to Gluten Free. I added the non-GF recipe at the bottom. Having never cooked with gas it ended up a little over cooked, but it was delicious. I made a GF one and regular and I think I preferred the texture of the GF one to the regular, go figure! I also halved the original recipe since it is only for one person and cooked it in a loaf pan. Double and cook in an 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 for the original recipe.

Raspberry Buckle
1 C GF flour*
1 3/4 tsp baking powder*
1/2 tsp xanthan gum*
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 C shortening
3/8 C sugar (6 T)
1 egg*
1/4 C milk
1/8 tsp vanilla
1 c fresh or frozen raspberries
1/4 C GF flour*
pinch Xanthan gum*
1/4 C sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp butter or margarine

1. Grease the bottom and 1/2" up the sides of an 8x4 loaf pan. Combine the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl beat the shortening for 30 seconds and add the 3/8 C sugar beating on med to high until until light and fluffy.

3. Add egg and beat well. Combine milk and vanilla. Add milk mixture and dry mixture to batter, alternating between the two and beating until smooth after each addition.
4. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

5. Sprinkle with raspberries. Combine the 1/2 C flour, a sprinkle of xanthan gum (if using), and cinnamon. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
6. Sprinkle mixture over raspberries.
7. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 35-40 minutes** or until golden brown. Best served warm.
Makes 4 servings

*NON-GF VERSION: Use regular flour, omit xanthan gum, use 1 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1 egg.
**45-60 minutes for 8x8x2/9x9x2 pan.

3 comments:

Pearl Girl said...

Thanks I am gonna try it.

Anonymous said...

I really try this in my home.......
Thanks a lot for this blog......

Get More

Anonymous said...

fabulous dishes.


Get More Details

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails