Saturday, October 17, 2009

Roast Beef Pinwheels


Last April I made Ham & Chicken Rollups, basically the same, but with ham & chicken.  Obvious, I know.  Anyway, the original recipe done by my sister used a leftover roast, but all I had was ham & chicken in the fridge so I tried it with that.  It was a hit.  So this week when I made roast I forced everyone to save some (I started with a 2.3 lb roast and after it was cooked and everyone ate their fill I had about 1/3 left) and made these a few days later.  They were DIVINE!!!!  My daughter had to be stopped from eating so she could have some for lunch the next day.  I have to admit the biscuit mix I used is not the best (Blue Chip Group -- it is too greasy, even after halving the shortening), but we are trying to use it up.  I will probably replace the photo when I use my regular recipe that is more like regular Baking Powder Biscuits.  That said, you should try these, my kids can't get enough of them.  The measurements are approx since I just kind of dumped and used what I had.

Roast Beef Pinwheels (printer friendly recipe)
1 tsp vegetable oil*
1 sm onion, sliced*
2 cloves garlic, smashed
Left over cooked roast (about 3/4 lb), chunked
1 sm bell pepper,** chunked
Handful of cheddar cheese
1 beef bouilion cube, crumbled (I had to use a meat mallet)
1/4 C milk or water
1 egg
1 Baking Powder Biscuit recipe prepared (12 biscuit size)

1. Heat oil over Med-high heat. Sautee onion until softened and browned.*
2. In a food processor (I love this appliance!) Place the onion,garlic, roast, bell pepper, cheese, bouillon cube, and water or milk. Pulse a few times to mix the hot onions in. Add the egg. Mix until thoroughly combined, and the mixture resembles a thick puree.



3. Mix up biscuits according to recipe and roll out to about 1/4" thick into a rectangle. Spread Roast mixture over the dough with it going to the short ends and going withing 1" of the edge.

I did a 1/2 recipe and ended up with more of a circle than rectangle, but you get the idea


If you have some dough leftover shape some regular biscuits, if you have the mixture leftover, cook in the microwave about 3 minutes (to cook the egg) then refrigerate and use as a sandwich spread.

4. Roll up like a cinnamon roll and slice about 1" apart.

I used the wax paper I rolled the dough out on to help roll it up




Your roll

5. Slice about 1 to 1-1/2 inches wide.  Place rolls on a greased cookie sheet.



6. Bake on 425-degrees for about 10-15 minutes or until browned. Enjoy!

We ate it as a main course, but I think it would work for an appetizer also, just spread the meat mixture really thin and roll a thin rectangle so you would have smaller ones.


*I just cooked the roast with onion and saved what was cooked.
**use whichever color you like

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails