I know I have mentioned this before, but I just really love pie. So when I saw these teensy-weensy turnovers I just had to make them. Well I ended up making the GF pie dough a little too dry (still working on the crust) and the crust didn't bend well so I ended up just making mini-pies. I filled them with peach pie filling , pear-raspberry-strawberry jam (a variation of this recipe), and a simple pecan topping. They were delicious! If I hadn't made GF & regular ones they would have been fast also. I am thinking of making fried pies next time.
Mini Turnovers & Pies
1 recipe 9" pie crust (I used this one)
Glaze (recipe below)
1. Roll pie crust between parchment or wax paper to 1/8" thickness.
Use a circular cookie cutter or top of a cup to cut "crusts."
I used a 1-1/4" cutter
2. Place "crusts" on a cookie sheet. If you are doing turnovers, prick each crust with a fork just above the middle. If you are doing "pies" prick every other "crust".
3. Place a little filling (about 1/4 -1/2 tsp) in the middle of each crust for the turnovers and every other crust (the one not pricked with a fork) for the pies.
Peach & Jam filling shown
4. Rub a little water around the edge of the crusts and fold over for turnovers or place the pricked crust on top of the filling pressing down slightly at the edges. For an extra touch you can indent with a small sucker stick or something like it. Beat egg white with a fork until foamy and brush on each pie. Sprinkle with a bit of white sugar.
5. Bake in a 375 for 10-12 minutes.
Aren't they pretty?
4 tablespoons powdered sugar1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Milk (enough to be thin)
1. Stir together and drizzle over cooked turnovers.