Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pancit

I know what you are thinking -- what is pancit???? This is a Phillappino recipe one of my dear friends and favorite cook, Anne Marie, (who happens to be Phillappino) gave me. It is naturally GF which makes it even yummier. As I have been trying to dream up dinner I remembered this recipe which we hadn't had in a while and was so excited to make it again since it is insanely easy. It calls for shredded cabbage and I usually use green cabbage or buy the pre-shredded from the salad section if it is on sale. But the grocery store didn't have green cabbage the day I was there and I was feeling too cheap to buy the pre-shredded so we got red. It obviously dyed the noodles but I thought it turned out pretty anyway and it was just as delicious as when I used the green cabbage.

Pancit
1 pkg rice stick (rice & water variety -- soaked in hot tap water 3-5 minutes)*
3 Cups chicken broth (broth or 3 C water + 3 bouillon cubes)
1 lg Chicken Breast,
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 C shredded cabbage
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 C carrots, thinly sliced
3 stalks celery, chopped
Green onion, chopped
Sliced lime**

1. Boil chicken in broth until tender (30 minutes). De-bone chicken, if necessary, saving the broth. Shred the chicken.


2. Saute onion & garlic, then add chicken. Add carrots and soy and cook for 5 minutes. Add the celery and cabbage and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken broth and cook for 5 minutes. Add the noodles and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve with sliced lime and chopped green onion.

*I usually find these in the Asian section of the grocery store. They look like dried, translucent noodles. I should have taken a photo.
**I didn't have limes so I just sprinkled lime juice over it and it tasted fabulous!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails