Friday, March 6, 2009

The Rocket Quilt

So 3 1/2 years ago we moved into our house, and my son moved into his own bed. Since then I have been planning on making him a quilt. First I was going to make a "Transportation" quilt with "paper pieced" boats, planes, cars, trucks, etc. Well, that went really slow and I just never got more than a few blocks done. Then when he started his rocket craze I realized this was not something he would grow out of, which is just fine, and I should do a rocket quilt because that is what he really wants. When I was designing the quilt I had to figure out which rocket to use and decided on the "Cosmic Cobra" which met a very sad ending last summer -- for the second time.

Could a rocket land any better -- or worse?

The rocket was really quite neat, What it was suppose to do was to pop the nosecone off and then it fell by a helicopter mechanism and the body tube (yellow part) came down with a parachute. The first time the top came down right but the body tube crashed. The second time we just had impact and it was decided that the our household no longer flew cosmic cobras. But now my son can enjoy it on his bed.

Close up -- the fire ended up a little wonky, but I will just have to do better if I make another one.

In case you are wondering, the long points on the stars and the wing angles (4"x6" half-square rectangles) were the hardest. Thank you the internet (star points) and paper piecing (wings).

7 comments:

Gari in AL said...

Love the quilt: very personal. I wish I had been quilting when my children were little.

Zonnah said...

It is so cute. You did a great job.

Jocelyn said...

What a really cool quilt. Know your son must really likes it.

Nat Palaskas said...

Happy looking quilt. Your sone must love it. Thanks for sharing - notjustnat

Unknown said...

Great Quilt! I love how personal it is too :) We've had a couple of rockets end in similar fashion :( Still fun to make though! Thanks for sharing.

stitchinpenny said...

What a very cool quilt. I bet he loves it almost as much as he loved the rocket.

meggie said...

Perfect quilt for a boy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails