Saturday, January 24, 2009

Roasted Tomato-Pepperoni Soup

So last week I was looking at Family Fun Magazine and they had this fabulous recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup that I couldn't live without trying. So I made some, and it was fabulous! However, I thought it would also make a good base for a Pizza-type soup so I added some Turkey Pepperoni and basil to some of my leftovers and loved it. So this is my new concoction based on their recipe (I also lowered the fat a little with Evap milk). I figured a pureed soup would be difficult for my 5- & 2-year old to eat with a spoon so I put it in mugs for them to drink. My 2-year old decided to treat it like fondue and dipped her Grilled Cheese Croutons in the soup and when she ran out she just dipped regular bread.


Roasted Tomato-Pepperoni Soup
6 C (3 pints) cherry tomatoes
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves
1 C chopped onion
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 pkg (6-oz) turkey pepperoni*, chopped
4 C chicken broth
1/2 Tbsp fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 C whipping cream**
1/2 C evaporated milk**

1. Heat oven to 400-degrees. On a cookie sheet, combine the cherry tomatoes, 2 Tbsp olive oil, and salt and pepper. Toss the ingredients to coat evenly and spread in a single layer. Roast the tomatoes until they are shriveled with brown spots, about 35-45 minutes.

2. When the tomatoes are almost done, in a large pot, heat the butter and the remaining Tbsp of oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes with their juice, pepperoni, chicken broth, basil, thyme, and the roasted tomatoes, including any liquid and oil left on the cookie sheet. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes.
3. Using a food processor or blender, puree the soup until it's smooth. Return it to the pot and stir in the milk & cream. Without letting the soup boil, warm it over medium heat, stirring often, until steaming. Add salt and pepper, if necessary.
4. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with Grilled-Cheese Croutons or grated mozzarella cheese. Makes about 10 cups

*Hormel is GF -- says it right on the bag, love companies that do that!
**Or 1 C of either

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails