Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mexican Turkey Lasagna

I have made a version of this before, but the photo was awful despite the fact that the food was yummy!  This is basically the same idea, but with ground turkey, and only refried beans.  Ground Turkey is my new favorite meat.  Growing up my mom would make it and I never liked it.  I don't know if my taste has changed or the turkey has, but ever since a friend (Thanks Heidi!) made us turkey burgers I have been in love!  I made some burgers last night that were delicious, but they were gone before I got a photo.  Guess I will have to make them again.  Too bad.  Perhaps tonight?  Anyway, if you haven't had much ground turkey you should try this I think you will like it.

Mexican Turkey Lasagna (printer friendly)
1 T olive oil
1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 lg clove garlic, minced
2 C refried beans*
2 T chili powder*
2 tsp cumin*
1/2 tsp dried oregano*
2 tsp dried cilantro*
Salt and Pepper, to taste.
1/8-1/4 C water
6-8 corn tortillas
Cheddar cheese
La Victoria, green Enchilada Sauce
Lettuce (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)
Tomatoes (optional)
Guacamole (optional)
Olives (optional)

1. Grease an 11x7 casserole dish.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil and swirl.  Add turkey, then chop onion and mince garlic and then add to turkey.  Cook turkey until nicely browned.  Add 1/8 C water. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. 

3. Add refried beans and combine.*  Add more water if meat/bean mixture seems overly dry, however, don't let it get soupy. 
4. Pour about 2 Tbsp of enchilada sauce
Although fuzzy and messy, this sauce is gluten free and delicious!

in the bottom of the pan.  place 2 tortillas
 My new favorite corn tortillas from Trader Joe's "Made from fresh ground corn, no dry cornmeal used"  YUM!

in the bottom of the pan

and pour 1/3 of the remaining sauce over the tortillas.

Pour 1/2 of the meat/bean mixture over the tortillas
Sprinkle with a handful of cheddar cheese. Repeat the tortillas, sauce, meat/bean layer and cheese.  Finally, layer 2 more tortillas the remaining sauce and cheese.
5. Cover with greased tin foil to prevent the cheese from sticking

6. Bake for 30 minutes on 350-degrees.  Allow to set for 5 minutes after removing from the oven
7. Serve topped with lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, tomatoes, olives, and or anything else that sounds delicious!  Sadly, I only had lettuce and sour cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails