Thursday, April 15, 2010

Strogaccine


My 6 year old has been on strike (until 2 days ago) from all versions of tomatoes except the sauce on pizza.  Consequently, I haven't made a whole lot of pasta lately.  I'm just not in the mood for the fight.  Anyway, the other night (before the break in the strike) I really wanted pasta, and so I started cooking the hamburger with a small onion and some garlic and got the pots (one for GF pasta and one for regular pasta) on to boil.  In the middle of the process I decided I really didn't want the fight after all and had to change directions.  So I decided to make a fettuccine sauce with the hamburger.  Or at least a mozzarella white sauce.  It turned out relatively well.  I just wish I had had whole milk or some cream and some mushrooms and it would have been better.  Otherwise, it was a pretty good hack job.

Strogaccine (printer friendly)
1 lb pasta, cooked according to package directions
1 lb hamburger
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
dash pepper, or to taste
1 can mushrooms-pieces and stems, drained or 1 C fresh
4 C milk, divided*
3 T cornstarch
1/2  tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 C shredded mozzarella
1/4 C Parmesan cheese

1. In a deep skillet cook hamburger, onion, garlic, and salt and pepper until the meat is browned.

2. Add the mushrooms and toss for a minute or so. Add 3 C milk*, basil, oregano, and thyme.  Bring to a light boil, stirring occasionally.  Stir cornstarch into remaining milk* and stir until mixed then slowly add to sauce while stirring.  Bring to a light boil and let cook for 1 minute.  Add cheese and stir until fully melted.
 3. Serve over pasta with more Parmesan cheese, if desired.


*or 1 C cream and 3 C milk.  Add the cornstarch to the cream.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails