Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Seasoned Refried Beans

How to go from this:

to this:

My church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, ie. the Mormons) has a variety of food cannerys throughout the US and the world.  They help in my church's worldwide humanitarian aid, along with allowing others the opportunity to package their own food.  I order a lot of bulk food there.  The one rule, you have to package some either in #10 cans or plastic pouches and then you can buy as much of what they have on hand.  Considering we eat a lot of refried beans, when I saw dried I thought it was worth a try, and we haven't gone back.  The ingredients are just pinto beans and salt that has been mashed and then dried.  You just have to add equal amounts of boiling water and beans and let it sit for 10 minutes.  You can alter this ratio depending on how thick or thin you want the beans.  The best part is that you can add seasoning to the beans and this is the part we love.

Here is how I make them.  I imagine you could do this with any dried refried beans, I just don't know where you would get them.

Seasoned Refried Beans (printer friendly)
1 C water*
1/2 T chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried cilantro
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 C dried beans*

1. In a small saucepan combine water, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Add beans.  Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.  Stir. Note: This makes a runnier consistency so if you prefer thicker reduce the water.

*Or whichever ratio your dried beans use.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails