Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Baked Potato Cordon Bleu Casserole


So I haven't been blogging much for a while since I am pregnant and was feeling so sick that the thought of cooking and writing about it made me feel even sicker. I have to thank my wonderful husband who has done most of the cooking for the last 2 months along with the cleaning and many other household chores. I am finally starting to feel like I am among the living, YEAH! and last night I made a new recipe.

For Christmas my husband got me a Kitchen-Aid Food Processor that has 3 different bowl and does a myriad of things. To my wonderful joy there were several recipes that came with it that were already Gluten Free. One of them was a Loaded Baked Potato Casserole. It reminded me of a recipe I love that we affectionately call "funeral Potatoes" (you can guess why). Anyway, my Father-in-law used to make them with ham and chicken so I decided to do the same and altered the recipe. It turned out pretty good, but I needed to add more flour, I altered the recipe accordingly.

Baked Potato Cordon Bleu Casserole
8 oz cheese,recipe uses 1/2 sharp cheddar & 1/2 smoked cheddar*
1 oz Parmesan cheese
2 1/2 qts water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs russet potatoes (I think this is about 10 med)
1/4 C loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped or 4 tsp dried
6 green onions, chopped
1 16-oz container sour cream
2 Tbsp potato flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 C. diced cooked chicken
1/2 C diced or shredded ham
Corn Flake Crumbs***
1 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted***

1. Grate cheeses and set aside
2. In a dutch oven pot add water and 1 1/2 tsp salt, bring to boil. Shred potatoes and add to boiling water. Return to boil and cook for 1 minute or until crisp-tender. Drain well
3. If desired, chop fine the chicken & ham in the food processor**
4. In a large mixing bowl combine sour cream, flour, pepper, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, and 1 Tbsp butter melted,if desired. Mix well. Add potatoes, shredded cheeses, onions, parsley, chicken & ham; toss gently to mix well. Spread into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
5. Sprinkle Corn Flake crumbs over potatoes and drizzle with melted butter.*** Bake at 350-degrees for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown and edges are bubbly.

Yields 12 - 3/4-cup servings

*I am using a combo of cheddar, swiss and havarti since it is what I
have in the fridge.
**I did this and it made it smooth, however I think I will leave them whole next time.
***You can also top with cheese or the original recipe calls for:a slice bread cut in half then butter both sides and place buttered sides together. Cut into 1-inch pieces and in a food processor process into fine crumbs (10-12 seconds). Sprinkle crumb mixture over potatoes.

Yummy!

1 comment:

Mel said...

SOunds good, I'll have to try it now that Josh has discovered that potatoes and tomatoes are NOT the same thing, and amazingly, he likes potatoes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails