Wednesday, November 25, 2009

German Pancakes


One of my favorite breakfasts as a child was German Pancakes.  We loved them.   Actually I think it was more about the cool whip than the actual "pancake" then.  But now it is about the whole experience.  I love the crispy and yet spongy texture, and the eggy, slightly salty taste mixed with the sweetness of the fruit and cream. Mmmm, I now wanting them again and I just ate them for breakfast.  Dinner maybe??

I made a double batch to feed 5 (it really feeds about 6-7, we had some leftovers) and then a 1/3 batch for my daughter (the 1/3 measurements are at the bottom of the recipe).  If you aren't GF just eliminate the xanthan gum.

German Pancakes (printer friendly)
2-4 T butter*
3 eggs
1/2 C flour mix
1/2 C milk
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

1. Preheat oven to 435-degrees.  Place the butter in the pan and set in oven to melt.  If using a glass pan just set it in long enough for the butter to start melting, but not melting all the way so it doesn't get too hot and break when you pour the batter in.
 

2. In a blender add the eggs and flour and mix until thoroughly combined.  Add remaining ingredients.
 

Pour into pan.
 
I know it is blurry, but you get the idea. -- my 1/3 recipe is in the back.

Bake for 20 minutes.


 my 1/3 batch

 
This is my double batch, I love how it puffs up then falls as it cools, like a souffle.

3. Serve with fruit & whipped cream, or powdered sugar, or syrup if you so desire.


*more makes it richer, I usually do 2-3)

1/3 recipe measurements
1 1/2 T butter
2 eggs
3 T flour
1/8 tsp xanthan gum (add with flour)
3 T milk
dash of salt.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails