Friday, May 15, 2009

Navajo Tacos

I grew up in a small town on the edge of an American Indian Reservation. For a fundraiser the American Indian student group in our school would make Navajo Tacos and I loved them! Every time I am somewhere they are served I always order them up. I use to make them every few months before we went GF and since then they never seemed to make the menu. Earlier this week I was really wanting one and decided I would try adapting them, and it turned out great! My daughter ate one as a taco and the other just as a scone with honey and butter. Both my husband and I tried them (I made non-GF for everyone else) and they were delicious!


Navajo Tacos (printer friendly version)

Filling
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 C water
1/4 tsp salt*
1/4 tsp pepper*
1/2 tsp garlic powder*
1/2 tsp oregano*
1 14-oz can refried beans
1 can tomato sauce
1 can green chilies

1. Boil beef and onion in water for 10-15 minutes or until cooked throughout. Drain (this is optional, depending on how thick you want the filling).
2. Season with seasonings. Add beans, tomato sauce & chilies. Heat until warm.
3. While cooking make shells.

Fry Bread
- Makes 6 ( 2x's this for the meat mixture, especially if you don't drain the meat)
2 C flour
3/4 t salt
3 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 C warm water
oil for frying

1. Combine dry ingredients and add water. Mix and form into a ball.
2. Divide into 6 pieces, place 2 pieces into a ziploc bag or on top of flour. Roll to about 1/2" thick.

3. Heat oil until it pops slightly when water is sprinkled on it. (There is probably a temp but I just use water) Fry "shells" until they are brown on both sides and cooked through.
4. To keep warm, place in a 200-degree oven on a paper towel lined, oven proof plate.

Toppings
Sour cream
Cheddar cheese (I only had mozzerella so we used that)
Lettuce
Tomatoes, chopped
Olives (not shown)

Place each shell on a plate. Layer with meat mixture, and desired toppings.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I want to eat at your house every night. I haven't had Navajo tacos for a while, it sounds so good. Just a note though, Frito Pie meat is also VERY yummy for Navajo tacos, and since it is Grandma's recipe, there is always more meat than you need for several meals of Frito Pie, it's a good way to use the leftovers.

Natalie said...

Great idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails