Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Beef Stroganoff

I love Beef Stroganoff, yet I rarely have enough sour cream to make it. Tonight I was completely lost on what to have for dinner and called my sister who also has a daughter with Celiacs and said, "What are you having for dinner?" She didn't know, but she mentioned she had Beef Stroganoff the other night and since I had to run to the store anyway, I was able to get sour cream and even used fresh mushrooms (usually it is just canned). It turned our very yummy. Basically, I just used the recipe in the Better Homes & Garden Cookbook with a few changes.

Beef Stroganoff (printer friendly)
1 lb hamburger
1 8-oz carton sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 C water
2 tsp beef bouillon granules (or 2 cubes smashed*)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 C sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 C chopped onion (1 medium)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 C hot cooked noodles

1. In a small mixing bowl combine the flour with the sour cream. Add the water, bouillon, and pepper and whisk until smooth.
2. In a large skillet cook hamburger partially, then add mushrooms, onions, and garlic and cook until meat is done. Drain, if desired.
3. Add sour cream mixture and stir until thickened. Bring to a boil and stir for 1 more minute. Serve over noodles. Makes 4 servings.

*I use a meat tenderizer to smash the unopened package of the cube and then open the package.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails