Monday, May 18, 2009

Ice Cream Sandwiches with Cookie

There was a time I really didn't like ice cream sandwiches, but lately they always look good at the store. Problem -- no GF ice cream sandwiches at our store. So I always feel like I am a bad mom if I decide to buy them and then deny my daughter. So today I decided I would make my own. A few years ago I got an ice cream sandwich press from Pampered Chef. I don't think they sell it anymore, at least I can't find it online. I should have photographed it, but my hands were a mess and I didn't think my husband would appreciate me using his camera with ice cream hands. Anyway, basically it is a tube that allows you to place a cookie on the bottom, add ice cream and then another cookie, turn it upside down and use a plunger on the bottom to press it all together. It doesn't turn out as pretty as the ones at the store, but it does push it together. If you have the style of measuring cup that allows you to push the contents out from the bottom then that would work just as well. I adapted a recipe from Nestle Tollhouse Best Loved Cookies cookbook, also known as "The Cookie Book" to our family and all my sisters since we all have one. The recipe was "Double Chocolate Dream Cookies" and while the regular recipe is a dream I have yet to perfect the GF version. It is yummy, but always too crispy. I need to cook them less time. I have the cookie recipe at the end of the post.

Ice Cream Sandwiches
1. Basically use the measuring cup to cut the cookie so it will fit inside the measuring cup (you will want to make larger cookies than usual and ones that turn out flat).
2. Place one cookies top side down on the bottom of the measuring cup then add some softened ice cream, about a 1/3-1/2 C.
3. Place a second cookie, top up on top of the ice cream. Turn the measuring cup upside down onto a hard surface and push the contents together. Lift up and push the "sandwich" out. Individually wrap with plastic wrap or fold over sandwich bags and place in a large freezer bag. Place in the freezer for about 8 hours or overnight. (We didn't do this since we ate them for family night and they were yummy, but VERY soft and messy).

Here is the sandwich all wrapped up.

Double Chocolate Dream Cookies
(adapted from Nestle Tollhouse Best-Loved Cookies)
2 1/4 GF flour mix (I used rice)
1/2 C baking cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt.
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 C butter or margarine, softened
1 C packed brown sugar
3/4 C granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, & xanthan gum. In a medium bowl beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and beat for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Drop by tablespoons onto an ungreased baking sheet, if making sandwiches you may want your drops to be as big as 2-3 Tbsp. Bake for 8-11 minutes or until puffed. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Makes 4 1/2 doz (if making the smaller cookies, about 2 doz with the larger)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails