Thursday, April 16, 2009

Mini Cupcake Bites

A while ago I went to a church activity and they served these cake pops that my friend had gotten from Martha Stewart, they were so delicious! Anyway, fast forward to yesterday when La Petit Chef sent me a "menu" with cupcake bites in little cupcake liners. They were so adorable and once I saw the recipe I realized, "I can make this GF so easy!" Another bonus, they will hold up in the freezer well. So off I ran to the store and got candy coating and I made GF & regular ones today. My kids even helped, it was a lot of fun, albeit time consuming, it took all aftenoon to make both versions!

Mini Cupcake Bites (printer friendly recipe)
1 9x13 chocolate cake*, cooled
2 C cream cheese frosting (recipe below) or 1-16oz tub cream cheese frosting
Flavoring (mint, raspberry, etc), opt.
Nuts, finely chopped, opt.
2-3 pkgs Chocolate Chips or Chocolate candy coating (use coating if you are keeping them out of the fridge or freezer, chips will soften)
Candy Coating in your favorite colors
Sprinkles

1. If using Cream Cheese Frosting recipe below divide it so you only have 2 C, or if you are doing both, seperate it out before starting the recipe to guarantee you have enough.
2. Crumble cooled cake into a large bowl. Add frosting and with a wooden spoon or your hands mix until thoroughly blended.
3. If you want to flavor only some, or add nuts, spoon some out into a smaller bowl and add your flavoring or nuts.

4. Roll into balls smaller than your cupcake liners. 5. place on parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheets and place in freezer for a few minutes until firm but not frozen.

5. place on parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheets and place in freezer for a few minutes until firm but not frozen.
6. Melt 1 pkg chocolate chips until smooth, you will need to melt more but do 1 pkg at a time so it doesn't harden as you work with it.

7. Place liners in mini cupcake tins and spoon approx 2 tsp-1 T chocolate into bottom.

8. Add ball pushing the ball down until the chocolate rises to the top of the liner. It is important it is at the top of the liner, otherwise it will be more difficult to coat with the candy coating later -- as I learned from experience. Repeat until all the liners are filled.
9. I only had 24 spaces in my tins so as I finished them I moved them to a cookie sheet. Place the chocolate balls in liners into the freezer to allow the chocolate to harden.
10. Holding the bottom of the cupcake dip in melted candy coating and cover with sprinkles. Double check the ingredients of sprinkles if you are GF. I also used melted cinnamon chips for some of them, yum! 6. Keep in an airtight container for several days, or freeze.

*I made Incredibly Rich GF Chocolate Cake and only 1x it which is enough for a 9" round. If you want a 9x13, double the recipe. If you don't need GF, I made Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake which lived up to its name and is my new regular chocolate cake recipe. You must try it!

Cream Cheese Frosting
(from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook)
1 8-oz block cream cheese
1/2 C butter
1 16-oz pkg powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1. With an electric mixer beat cream cheese and butter until fully blended and smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Mix in Vanilla.
Yields: 3 C

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails