Monday, November 3, 2008

Potato Soup

I love soup! I recently looked on the back of my Bob's Red Mill Potato Flour and they had a recipe for soup. Not a very interesting one, but nonetheless got me thinking about Potato Soup. So tonight I set to making up my own version of Potato Soup. I ended up using some smoked paprika and while I list it as optional, I would HIGHLY recommend it. While I have probably made several versions I think this is my favorite to date. This soup It was perfectly creamy, had a wonderful flavor, and looked yummy. SEE ----


Cream of Potato & Veggie Soup (printer friendly recipe)
7 med potatoes, unpeeled*
Water
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 chicken bouillon cubes
3 slices of bacon, diced
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, diced
1 C diced carrots
3 Tbsp potato flour
3 cans evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 can corn
1/4 -1/2 tsp smoked paprika, opt
Cheese, opt.

1. Cut the potatoes lengthwise so the potato is quartered. If a larger potato do 2 slices on one side. Then dice it into bite size pieces. Add the diced potatoes & garlic to a large pot and add enough water to barely cover the potatoes. Add chicken Bouillon cubes. Cover & cook until tender.
2. In a separate pan cook the diced bacon until crisp and remove from the pan, leaving the grease. Add the butter and melt. Saute onion & carrots until tender. Add potato flour and stir and cook for a minute. Add bacon. Pour the cans of evaporated milk into pan and stir with a whisk until it is smooth, not necessarily until it has thickened.
3. When potatoes are tender, mash about 1/2 of the potatoes with a potato masher, or something similar and add corn, stir. Add milk mixture and whisk to combine. Heat until boiling and boil for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
4. Serve with cheese, if desired, I prefer it without.

* I have quit peeling potatoes except in rare circumstances. First I am really lazy. Second, when I found out that most of potatoes nutrients are in the skins I decided that it justified my laziness.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails