Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Better Bread Recipe

So I ordered new flour and mixed up some new bread mixes. I did 10 so hopefully, they will last through Christmas. Here they are on my flour filled counter. When I need to make bread I will grab one of these, add yeast and wet ingredients and voile have bread!
Such a sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, a while back I posted my bread recipe that I modified from Carol Fenster's Sandwich Bread recipe. Anyway, it turned out to just be a little heavier that we wanted and I wanted to make it a little lighter so here is the new recipe.

Better Sandwich Bread (printer friendly recipe)
makes 1 1-lb loaf or an 8x4" pan
(I usually double this recipe so it makes 2 loaves not just 1 and it works just fine.)

2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp Sugar, divided (2 tsp & 1 Tbsp+1tsp)
1 C. Warm Water
1 3/4 C Rice Flour Blend
1/2 C Whole Grain Flour Blend
2 Tbsp Almond Meal
1/3 C. Dry milk powder (dairy or non-dairy)
1/2 Tbsp Flax Seed Meal
2 tsp Zanthan gum
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Soy lecithin granules
1 tsp Egg Replacer powder
2 Large whole eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp cider vinegar

1.Grease 8x4-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 tsp of the sugar in warm water (110-degree F). Let it stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.

2. Once foamy, add the remaining ingredients (including remaining sugar). Beat ingredients on low with regular beaters (not dough hooks) until just blended, then beat on high for 2 minutes. Add more water if necessary

3. Pour dough into prepared pan. Let dough rise in a warm place until the middle is slightly above the top of the pan.

4. Preheat the oven to 375-degree F. and bake for 45-50 minutes (we life in the mountains and it is usually closer to 40 minutes so keep an eye on it), until the loaf makes a clicking sound when tapped with your fingernail. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes then remove from the
pan and finish cooling on wire rack.

5. This is how I take care of the bread. Before it is completely cool -- slightly warm. I slice it then place the sliced loaf in a "food and bread" bag you buy near the tin foil and place it in the freezer. I always put my regular bread in the freezer slightly warm to retain moisture and I have found it to be true with GF bread as well.

Here is the beautiful Loaf. I mounded it in the middle to try to get a more "loaf" like look.
Doesn't it look beautiful!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails