Saturday, September 20, 2008

Cream of Broccoli Soup

The other dish I made tonight was Cream of Broccoli Soup. It tasted delicious.

Doesn't it look yummy!


Cream of Broccoli Soup
2 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 onion, minced
Salt
4 Cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 heaping Tbsp cornstarch
1-1/2 lbs fresh or frozen broccoli (I used fresh this time)
1/2 C heavy cream
Pepper

1. Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the 3-1/2 C broth and bring to a boil. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch to the remaining broth. Whisk into the boiling broth and continue to whisk for about a minute. Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the broccoli. Add the vegetables to the soup and simmer until tender, 7-10 minutes.
3. If you want you can puree the soup in a food processor or blender. I don't since I like my soup a little chunky. Return the pureed soup to the pot.
4. Stir in the cream. Bring to a brief simmer (do not boil), then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Your soup looks delicious! I'm all for soups and such this time of year. Isn't it an easy and inexpensive meal? Thanks for the post! My son was also diagnosed for Celiac when he was 3.
Debbie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails