Shepherd's Pie (printer friendly)4-5 lg potatoes
milk & butter for mashed potatoes
1 lb hamburger or ground turkey
1 medium onion, diced and divided
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained and reserving the liquid.
1 can green beans, drained
salt and pepper to taste
Mushroom Sauce (recipe below)
1. Cut up the potatoes into about 1/2"-3/4" cubes and boil in salted water until soft, but not mushy.
2. Meanwhile, in an oven proof skillet, brown the meat with the onion, reserving about 1 Tbsp of onion for the sauce.
When the meat is mostly cooked add the mushrooms.
When fully cooked add the green beans and bring to a boil.
Add enough of the sauce to make it really thick, it probably won't take all the sauce.
Cover with mashed potatoes,
leaving a hole down to the sauce to allow the steam to escape and not boil over (or at least not as much).
3. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve. YUM!
Mushroom sauce2 T butter or oil
2 T diced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 T potato flour
Reserved mushroom liquid
Milk (choose your favorite, I prefer soy)
1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp dried basil
1. In a small pan melt butter. Saute onions until lightly browned. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and potato flour.
Stir until lightly brown and somewhat smooth. It might be a little crumbly
2. Add milk to mushroom liquid to equal 1 C and add Worcestershire sauce and basil. Pour a little at a time into pan making sure to fully mix in the onion/flour mixture. Bring to a boil and cook until thick.